UW-Madison Canvas Knowledgebase
View UW-Madison’s ongoing list of Canvas help documentation, which highlights information about getting started, as well as the most commonly viewed and recently updated documents. Getting started information includes:
- Considerations before transitioning to Canvas
- How to get started with Canvas at UW-Madison
- Guides prepared by Canvas (for instructors, students, admins and observers, as well as others)
- Moving to Canvas from D2L
- Moving to Canvas from Moodle
- Canvas system requirements and supported browsers
Instructure (the vendor of Canvas) also has an extensive knowledgebase of documentation for faculty, instructional staff, students, administrators and observers.
DoIT Help Desk
The DoIT Help Desk can help UW-Madison Canvas users:
- Answer questions about specific features and functionality
- Answer questions associated with the delivery of courses in Canvas
- Troubleshoot or report technical issues
In-person and Online Training Opportunities
In-person Canvas demonstrations and training sessions are offered regularly throughout the year, with more sessions added every month. Check the “Events” section in the sidebar for more specific information about the offerings.
A fully online, self-paced Canvas training course for instructors is also available. To access the course, log into Canvas through the Learn@UW Course Dashboard and click on “Canvas Training Course for Instructors.”
On-campus Consultation Services
Learning technology consultants from DoIT Academic Technology (AT) are available by appointment for one-on-one Canvas consultations. Consultants can advise faculty and instructional staff on topics such as when to switch to Canvas, how to get started and how to effectively use the LMS to support student learning. Consultants can also provide information about other useful resources.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a consultation.
School and College Instructional Support
Faculty and instructional staff are also also encouraged to contact their departmental, school or college instructional technology staff regarding their use of Canvas. For reference, here is a list of instructional technology contacts organized by school and college.